Brad and I had these and stuffed tomatoes in Greece and loved them, so we found this recipe when we got back. It sounds a bit intense, but really isn't hard to make it just takes some planning because it has to simmer for an hour and then 30 minutes. I like it because it is do a few things, then play with Roman, do a few more things, play with Roman... instead of do it all at once and have him cry because he wants to be the center of attention.
6 large green bell peppers
1 pound ground sausage
1 large onion, chopped
2 cans tomato soup
2 2/3 cups water
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
cheddar cheese shredded
3 cups uncooked instant rice
1. Slice tops off of peppers and remove seeds and membranes, rinse well. Bring water to a boil and add peppers. Cook for 15 minutes, of until tender-crisp.
2. Place sausage and onions in a large, deep skillet and cook until evenly brown. Reduce heat to medium and sir in tomatoes soup, water, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in 3/4 cheese and simmer for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350.
4. Prepare instant rice to package instructions. Fluff with fork and then stir into tomato mixture. Simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Spoon rice mixture into peppers.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese on peppers and place under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly.